Friday, June 1, 2007

Job applications are for the middle class!!!

"To be a poor man (or woman for Irene) is hard, but to be a poor race in a lad of dollars is the very bottom of hardships." ~William Edward Burghardt DuBois

(11:36pm) This will constitute the entry for the weekend. Today was washing clothes, clothes, and more clothes (Who ever knew I could have so many clothes) and the continuance of filing out job applications. What bothers me about job applications is the previous employment section. It is so long an arduous. do they really intend to call all three of those jobs? It would be different if I were applying to a fortune 500 company but IT'S A RESTERAUNT. Not even Ruth's Chris but Papaduex's. Whatever! So I did it and when I went to turn it in I found out they don't conduct interviews till Tuesday - Thursday from 3 to 5. Good thing I'm independently wealthy and don't need money right away. We all know this is the man (white of course) trying to hold this strong black woman down (In case you thought I had gone soft on you:0)!!!
So we'll see, I plan on participating in my part of capitalism and hopefully making enough for a deposit on an apartment. Which brings me to my next point. Before I left I was thinking about buying a house in College Station since I will be there for 5 years or more. Today before my application adventure I went to the library to check out some books that teach you how to buy a house. While there I got the distinct impression by my spiritual deity which will remain genderless (via suggestion from a close and beloved friend. In response to your query my Mormonism has conditioned me to believe that God is both male and white. I'm shedding the white part but the male will be harder to get rid of) whispered to me that I should save rent for the first year and save up enough to maybe make a 10% down payment. As a result my housing plans are on hold. I can't say I was disappointed but rather now I'm back to square one on finding a rental place that accepts dogs and has enough space to let my baby walk around in without being snagged ("again" for those of you who know the story, for those who don't disregard I'm crazy).
I do have a semi inspirational story to tell for anyone who needs a pick up. So I had run out of money, because I have recently come to the realization that I suck at money management, and my mom had loaned me $100. This was supposed to get me from Baton Rouge LA to Smyrna GA in my gas gussling, enviornment ruining, uhaul discriminated against, suv. In need of a serious oil change and $60 or so dollars left I hit the road. I had made it to the GA state line and the little red stick had gotten closer to the E than I was comfortable with. After filling up in Montgomery and getting a slice of pizza and two bags of chips (which I did not consume all of in one setting thank you very much) I was down to roughly $6 and some change. The gas varied depending on the exit. Some were as high as $3.15 while I inadvertently passed one for $2.99. Getting off to check was only burning up more gas, to make a really long story shorter God blessed me. I found a dollar ( and for me to find money is like a White person shunning their privilege, not impossible but highly unlikely bordering on miraculous) which brought my total cash flow to $7.75 exactly, which is what went into my tank. God and fumes got me to my Mom's house and my truck has sat in the driveway barren ever since. So the moral of this story boys and girls is God doth provide.
About the quote up at the top eventhough I returned my house buying books I did check out some DuBois which has been on my list of things to read. I made some goals for myself.
  • Read at least 10 books this summer
  • Read my scriptures every day
  • Brush up on my Spanish
  • Lose weight (not so I can fit in to the white standard of beauty but rather I no longer have the elevation to blame when I get winded walking up stairs or up hill)
  • Write for 20 minutes a day (Thanks Mary Jo, this one was cause of you)
  • Save at least 40% of my income
  • Pay off some debts
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I plan on trying to relax too, I've been told to do that by my other sister (DLDL). It seems like a lot and it is, if it didn't seem like doing too much it would be me (smile). Ok it's late and I can't complain of jet lag. Thanks for reading!!!

No comments: