Monday, June 4, 2007

Sneeze, sniffle, sniffle

[The picture is of Gigi quiting our walk,she decided she was done. The little dots...well lets just say there are a whole lot of ducks and geese nearby]
(10:40 pm) Close to the end of Gigi and I's morning walk, which was not when she thought it was (see attached picture), I had an allergy attack. I started sneezing uncontrollably, my right eye started watering and I was feeling ill for most of the rest of the day. I slept a lot and got up and cooked fattening hamburgers for dinner. I know all very boring but with no job and not knowing a lot of people in a new city what do you expect. People ask me how come I don't get out and meet new people, where would I go? Besides I'm only going to be here until the middle of August at the latest, so shall I start new friendships only to have to "end" them in a few months?
Speaking of new things...I realized I'm not a smiler. On Friday I went to Papadeaux's (the restaurant I'm applying for) with application in hand and I tried to muster up a smile to walk in with. I COULDN'T!!! There was nothing to smile for. There I was trying to show how customer service friendly I was and it wasn't working. It was so fake and contrived. I go back to what I said at BYU's graduation...if I were white and had white privilege I would have more to smile about. It's not that I don't smile because I'm unhappy, I am actually quite happy. It just doesn't "feel" very natural on my face if no joke has been told. That's funny (I'm smiling now).
I guess I better get over this whole smiling thing if I plan on working at a restaurant. We'll see.
Well I won't bore you with anything else cause really I have nothing else to report and my twenty minutes isn't up. Oh there is one sad thing to report. My college of education funding opp fell through/was postponed. The guy who I was in contact with said departmental money was low and that he wouldn't know anything else until the middle of July. I'm not really worried or concerned though. I have a partial assistantship through my department (doesn't that sound funny, something else to smile about, "my department") and I am still receiving emails about other assistantship opportunities. I guess I'm a little disappointed because I felt so good/right about the college of ed assistantship. Maybe I'll contact the professor who put me in touch with this other guy and see if she has any leads.
I guess Don Asher (ask Jo Hinsdale) was right, relaxing your summer between grad school is fun for about a week and then you just want to slit your wrists and get back to work. I'm not quite at the slitting of the wrists yet but I'm finding it difficult just sitting around. I do read a little but nothing exciting. Don't worry I'll be wishing for this down time once I'm busting my hump in the food service industry. Don't worry Irene I remember that article about the rules of working too hard and not working hard enough.
O.K. I know this was boring but you could have stopped reading at any time. I will not take accountability for ...whatever. Now I'm writing like a crazy person. Good night.

No comments: