Tuesday, June 5, 2007

o·ver·qual·i·fied (vr-kwl-fd)- Educated or skilled beyond what is necessary or desired for a particular job


Overqualified - A label employers often use on mid-career job-seekers who appear to have one of three flaws: too many years of experience, too much education, too highly paid in current or previous job.

(9:59 pm) Today I was told what every minority is bound to hear at least once in their life time. Exact quote from a Papadeaux's employee "You are a little overqualified for this position..." when he says little I wonder does he mean that I have a little too much education, or I speak a little to articulately (which I was told by one of my first BYU professors, who would also make an in class comment that SHE would prefer to work with men than women on business deals because men were less catty. Talk about internalized sexism...I digress), I carry myself a little too professionally, oh...wait a minute...it might be the two degrees. Our president has two degrees and he's a jack ass, so let's not assume that everyone with a degree manifests a particular amount of intelligence[please do not misinterpret the last comment I was in no way comparing myself to the President's dumb as* nor was I downplaying my accomplishments] Even though I was "over qualified" he allowed me to go on to the second stage of interviewing. I am so blessed! FEEL THE SARCASM!!! But really I do thank God for the opportunity it was all Him (Sorry friend I can't let that go) and very little of me.
Oh oh oh news flash...lets get excited!!! I met a guy today. He was Black, said hi to me first, I started to undress and he looked at me strangely and asked what was I doing. I told him that in Utah where I just moved from Black men don't initiate greetings so that must mean I owed him something. Ok so it didn't happen exactly like that. I did in fact meet a guy and he did in fact say hi to me first but no clothes were taken off, I did adjust my sexy chin strap on my bike helmet but that's about it. Due to my new exercise kick I went biking today and about 4 or so miles in I got a flat tire. Which sucks _ _ _ because I do not own a portable bicycle pump. I have one that is in the back of my car but it won't do me a lot of good. I did have the other necessities to fix the flat, which left me relying on the benevolence of Southern white folk. I would like to take this opportunity to share the fact that I have not said the words " I hate White folks" in over two weeks. This may be in part to my having been in the house for most of the day for the last week but let us not downplay my accomplishments. Anywho back to my story. So after some nice non-klan looking white people loaned me there bike pump I went back to this little shop on the trail to check my tire pressure. As I was doing that I noticed Mr. Mandingo...sorry yet again some more inappropriateness from Natasha Ball...I tried to mind my own business but as I said HE SPOKE TO ME FIRST!!!! We chatted a little and he said maybe I'll see you later. I was content with that since my being in Utah for so long had rendered me invisible I was now able to be seen with the naked (just wanted to use that word) eye again. So for all of you that continue to inquire as to my dating life, that's as close as I've gotten.
I plan on working like a Jamaican if I can land these two jobs (for those of you familiar with in living color just imagine the voice saying "chew chobs you lazy bumbaclot." For those of you having never seen that skit it won't be half as funny). One is at a place called Cryolife, they called me today while I was being told my intellect exceeded what was necessary for a serving position. I will call her back tomorrow to see what she says. That job is from 6am to 4:30 four days a week. Which would give me enough time to nap in between a shift at the restaurant. I am hoping the wage at Cryolife is good. I'll let you know as soon as I know.
Ok well I've exceeded my mandatory writing period. Thanks as usual for reading and hopefully I was able to provide at least a little entertainment to your day. I love and miss you!

No comments: